Spent a good length of time messing with color ideas for my Russian Dystopian Wars fleet. Nothing fancy, but I like the warm browns and the red. Hopefully I’ll be quicker on the rest.
Category Archives: #6MMRPC
We are back hot and heavy with the 6 month Conquering the Lead Mountain painting challenge. I haven’t been able to get much done Weeks 1 and 2 but the assembling of a stack of Shadows of Brimstone Kickstarter models just before we started I will say counts for me. 😀
For now, I’m focusing on getting what should be a fairly easy project completed, one of my two Dystopian Wars fleets – my Russian Coalition. I’ll post more on the inspirations for the color scheme, and my tester ship which is nearly completed, but I was so pleased with how the hull tones were coming out I went ahead and base colored the entire fleet last week in preparation of some speedy assembly line painting. Here’s a quick shot of the models while drying. Next update, better pix of the ships (and hopefully a few finished ones).
Not much of one, I’m afraid. Spent time this week doing Real World fun and trying to better organize/clean my painting area. Pix on that when I’m finished.
For now, here’s an update on my first 10(+1) Grots. Did the base skin, washed them, and hit with a hilight. Now I’ve added almost all of the clothing color base coats and moving on to the weapons. Going to try a Tin Bitz base color and build up from there with gunmetals and silvers. The sunlight coming in washed out a bit of the pic, but hopefully the definition in the skin is still visible. May need to do a very thin repeat wash along the recesses again…I’ll shoot better pix for the next pass. The next 10+1 are waiting in the wings for their flesh base color.
Welp, it’s been a few months since I’ve posted on the blog, but I’m hoping to remedy that and make it a regular thing. So much Real Life fun going on to keep me busy, and away from working much on miniatures. Want to get myself into a weekly habit of painting something and showing some progress. I’m calling it “10 a week”.
Basically, I’m going to work in blocks no bigger than 10 models at a time and get through them weekly as time allows. I may have a block take longer than a week or less than and will adapt accordingly, but the true test for me is to not have more than 10 models (well, starting 11, you’ll see) on the painting table at a time despite my bazillion half completed projects. I may assemble figs or terrain while I wait for pieces of the 10 to dry, but I’ll be painting to completion at least 10 models a week. At least that’s the plan.
To start me off slowly and build some momentum I realized I have about 70+ Grots sitting unpainted in my Ork collection. They’re fast, fun, and easy to paint so I’ll be starting with them. Blocks of 10 plus a Runtherd. Started last weekend and have only had a couple hours to dedicate so far, but here’s where I’m at as of last night. Nothing super fancy, but base colors and a flesh wash, a couple other colors tossed on a few models. The Runtherd is going darker than the Grots, obviously. I plan on posting weekly if not more often about the project, plus other gaming I’m doing and life in general. Until then, Waaagh!
I’ll be updating my ongoing work to complete my massive Ork collection on this new page:
Right now I’m just photo dumping my units, but will start including progress on assembly, repair, painting, and so forth.
Greetings all! Long time, no talk.
As you may glean from Darth above, I haven’t completed much in the way of tackling the mountain. A combination of work, summer heat malaise, and spending waaaay too much time reading up on and debating the merits of Age of Sigmar have steadily chipped away at my available time. I did pick up the Chaos models from the AoS boxed set, more because I think the minis are some of GW’s best work to date than I’ll be playing AoS with any regularity.
But an AoS review is for another blog post.
Part of what I’ve been working on is a late spring cleaning in the office/playroom at the casa. It’s taking longer than I’d anticipated, mostly because I’m doing it right for a change. Here’s where things were about a week or two ago:
As you can see, very much a WIP. This isn’t all of my mountain, just what wasn’t sorted/fitting into the office closets. I still have the garage work area and shelves to clean up. Part of the cleanup was to figure out what I was missing (for example, which Malifaux 2e Arsenal decks did I need and which had I duplicated because I wasn’t paying attention), what needs painting (too much), what needs to be sold off/etc. I’ll shoot a couple pix of where things stand now for the next update.
So, now that those things are tidied up I feel better about moving on to Phase 2 (garage) and while that’s getting handled, painting. Our big summer Apocalypse game is slated for August 22, and I have several greenskins who still need some paint!!
Well, this week was a bit of a bust. Too much RL intruded, and with a great Father’s Day with my beautiful daughter I ran out of time to actually get paint on any models. However, I did shop for some yellows for my Bad Moon Orks. I’ve always run Bad Moons (since they appeared in 2e), love that clan. My yellow mix has changed over the years, recently I adopted a more ochre than yellow style, but am now reversing it a bit and want a ‘dirty and bright yellow’ instead of the more orangeish ochre.
That led me to the Ork project I posted about previously. We played a game of 40k on Friday night, had a great time, and got me digging through my collection again.
I didn’t have much time to start the sorting and documenting, but I did run a quick survey of what I could lay my hands on and how many points roughly that was without upgrades. It hit about 6,666 points. :O
And I know that doesn’t include Nobz still unassembled as well as plenty more boyz out there in my storage boxes.
Going to start the full sortout tonight.