Today starts the next Lead Mountain Challenge series (the 6-month mountain reduction challenge – or #6MMRC on Instagram). It’s a six-month informal group that’s intended to keep us on track and get all those minis painted. Here’s the rules for this edition of the Challenge:
The pre-season has begun! David at Spiderweb of History has taken the lead on burnishing the rules and started the collective dash of lemmings towards the mountains of lead. It’s simply easier to copy and paste his informative post here:
Alright everybody, it’s time for the 2nd Annual 6 Month Mountain Reduction and Painting Challenge or 6MMRPC. We’ve changed up the time frame – it’s going to run from June 1, 2015 thru November 30, 2015. This avoids Christmas. There have also been a few rules changes, and some exciting additions IN BOLD.
1. No purchasing of new miniatures, EXCEPT if you use a joker. You get three jokers to use on a figure purchase. Could be a blister pack, an ebay bundle, or a single figure…you can’t splurge. The only exception to this rule is if you need bitz or A FIGURE (Singular) to complete a unit/warband etc.
1.1 – There is an opportunity to “earn” additional jokers. If you complete an entire project (whole unit/army/warband etc.) with pictures of starting, WIP, and completion, you earn yourself a Joker.
2. Gifts do not count against you. Holidays, birthdays etc. Also, if you’re given gift cards by your hobby illiterate family or friends, you can without penalty use them on anything you want miniatures wise.
3. Paints, terrain (or materials), and other hobby supplies do not apply to the no purchasing rule.
4. At least one hobby related blog post and/or Instagram update a week. If you instagram, be sure to hashtag your pic with #6MMRPC
5. Zombtober will be part of the 6 month challenge so, Zombie related stuff during October is ENCOURAGED. Other theme suggestions are welcomed.
6. Anyone that wants to submit a before and after picture of a miniature that they are proud of completing during the course of the challenge to email@example.com will be entered into the running for a gift certificate to a online wargaming store of their choice. Judging will be by an un-biased person. Amount on the gift certificate will be dictated by winners nationality but should work out to about $30 U.S. I (Spiderweb of History) will not be eligible to win.
It’s a lot of fun. I participated in the first one, but with Real Life commitments and challenges couldn’t keep up with my own promises. This time I aim to behave.
Below is a list of the blogs of the participants that I’m aware of at this time, check them out and see how they’re progressing as we go:
As far as what I’ll be painting during this challenge…well, that’s a bit of a tossup. Here’s what I initially plan on working on:
First project: Completing the Shadows of Brimstone models I was working on (see past SoB posts!) before Kublacon. All have color, some need detail work, most need some final TLC or cleanup. Cranking out 64 models in a couple weeks was a good start back into painting, but now I can take a bit of time finishing them up.
I have plenty of other things to paint as well, but for now these are on the docket as we should be gaming with them.